Monday, April 25, 2016

NaPoWriMo 2016: Day 15 - Lullaby for Parents and Children

I am catching up on every single damn poem I have been behind in writing, which means the numbering for this year's NaPoWriMo is shot to hell and back. Because I'm just anal that way I guess, but that's why it's called Catching Up I reckon eh? So the prompt for this was 'doubles', as in, things that come in pairs, pairs of poems, doppelgangers, etc. The amazing Jane Dougherty wrote a cleave poem, ie: the poem has two halves, both of which can be read as a separate poem each, but which can be read together as a whole new third poem. I am nowhere near as skilled or as awesome, but I liked the thought of two halves of a poem. So I experimented with a piece that can be read top down, and bottom up - top down is a lullaby from a parent to a child, and bottom up is the child to the parent. Heck, it's probably not even very successful but why the hell not? NaPoWriMo, the time to churn out lots of crap in the hope that a nugget of gold might emerge. Cheers!

#15: Lullaby for Children and Parents

The night is dark and stars are deep
Weary head, lay down to sleep
Mother, father, tired at last
How have years slipped by so fast?
The child is grown from youth to man
I pray you Time, to stay your hand:
Length of days and breadth of years
Strength of heart to ease these fears
Nothing - nothing gold can stay
My love guards you til break of day.

No comments: