Friday, April 03, 2020

GloPoWriMo 2020 Day 2: A Geography of the Interior

Prompt: Our (optional) prompt for the day takes a leaf from Schuyler’s book, as it were, and asks you to write a poem about a specific place —  a particular house or store or school or office. Try to incorporate concrete details, like street names, distances (“three and a half blocks from the post office”), the types of trees or flowers, the color of the shirts on the people you remember there. Little details like this can really help the reader imagine not only the place, but its mood – and can take your poem to weird and wild places.

Today was a bad, bad pain day. This is all I could come up with for place before I gave it up, and now I'm going to bed in hopes that tomorrow will be better.


A Geography of the Interior

"It's only two small fibroids. They shouldn't cause this amount of pain. There's really no pathology to explain it."


After countless scans, more scans and ultrasounds
I should be intimately familiar with this space
but I’m not. Its geographical details elude me still:

grainy dots and nebulous lines delineating ovary walls
two small fibroids – closely-observed old friends
agglutinated amorphous clumps pale against a blurred
grey-black panorama, an arrested starfield in warp speed.

Decades of scientific advances, yet they still can’t explain why
these smooth blubber-pale egg-sacs, a delicate lace
of membrane, blood vessels and capillaries
a placid monochrome fishbowl curve on ultrasound
turns into a battlefield of morning stars each month
sharp spikes endlessly lacerating soft tissue
this space that should birth new life
but instead births infinite permutations of pain:
a penance (so they say) for unmarried, childless singlehood.



8 comments:

Kerfe said...

I know a few people who have had to deal with this pain. Surgery helps in some cases.

I hope tomorrow is better...

paeansunplugged said...

Human body is still a mystery...a painful mystery at times. I love the lines
"these smooth blubber-pale egg-sacs, a delicate lace
of membrane, blood vessels and capillaries
a placid monochrome fishbowl curve on ultrasound"

Jane Dougherty said...

You make ovaries sound so beautiful, and I expect they are. Pain detracts from it though. You manage to make something worthwhile out of it.

Shuku said...

Thank you Kerfe! It's...still there but I am managing as best I can. Deadlines for work augh!

Shuku said...

Thank you so much! So good to see you again! I tried to find your poems but couldn't - do you have a link for it?

Shuku said...

Thank you so much Jane! The video probe pictures I've seen of them are actually surprisimgly pale and delicate...and you're right, the pain makes them weigh a ton!

Elizabeth Boquet said...

Oh! I'm so sorry you could nail the misplaced pain perfectly, "a battlefield of morning stars each month
sharp spikes endlessly lacerating soft tissue
this space that should birth new life" -- but am grateful for your ability to find the words.

Merril D. Smith said...

Beautiful words to describe such pain. I'm so sorry you're hurting!
(And the they who say it's a penance are idiots, of course.)