Thursday, April 02, 2020

GloPoWriMo 2020 Day 1: Iron Synthetic Fabrics On Low Heat

Prompt:  Write a self-portrait poem in which you make a specific action a metaphor for your life – one that typically isn’t done all that often, or only in specific circumstances. For example, bowling, or shopping for socks, or shoveling snow, or teaching a child to tie its shoes.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that the prompt for today was already hard for my brain. Regardless, it took me a while (and a shower, why is it that poetic muses always show up in the shower?) to find something relatable to write about.

So I wrote about ironing. Which I don't like. Hah!



Iron Synthetic Fabrics On Low Heat


I iron my life the way I iron my clothes:
high heat with a will and infrequently, scrubbing out creases
like ex-boyfriends and detested relatives

forgetting that synthetic people, like synthetic cheap fabrics
are high on irritation and low on melting point -
(damn it, another scorch mark)
that water is a gentler persuasion for stubborn creases
than fierce unrelenting heat
that all the ironing in the world won’t get every crease out of a life -
worn, wrinkled, wrung like fine cotton.

Every night I fall asleep and every morning I forget
that I’ve sworn, sworn by all heaven and earth and pink pigs
to do things differently.

Every morning I wake up, iron my life (or not)
burn my fingers again (or not)

shake my life out, and put it on.

They say creases smooth out with wear and time.
Creases be damned.

It’s not origami where Corner A must match Corner B - 
gridlines of ordered architecture folding in, pushing out
collapsing in on themselves into a preset design:
a  mathematical universe.

I’m lousy at ironing anyway.



6 comments:

Kerfe said...

Life definitely resists smoothing out by any means. Treat it as linen--the wrinkles are part of what gives it character. (K)

Elizabeth Boquet said...

Oh! So glad you nailed it! "... forgetting that synthetic people, like synthetic cheap fabrics
are high on irritation and low on melting point -
(damn it, another scorch mark)"

Merril D. Smith said...

Hello, my April friend! I love this. You did a wonderful job with this metaphor.
You're right about the shower--any kind of writing, not just poetry. 😀

Shuku said...

Linen! Yes exactly! But oh I hate ironing it...

Shuku said...

Thank you so much Elizabeth! I think everyone has run into those sorts of people before...and I've scorched more dresses than I care to remember haha!

Shuku said...

Hiii Merril! Thank you so much! It took a while, 3 meetings back to back devour brains...and YES ISN'T IT JUST, ABOUT THE SHOWER