Wednesday, April 10, 2019

GloPoWriMo Day 6: A Wish For Kitty Mao


Today, write a poem that emphasizes the power of “if,” of the woulds and coulds and shoulds of the world.

Miss Kitty Surname Mao, aka Kitty Mao, is our community stray cat who adopted me almost a year ago, and has since wormed her way into being an indispensable part of my life. I am thoroughly under those little grubby white paws, and no regrets either. I had a difficult time writing anything tonight, and I just went with the first thing that came to mind regarding ifs, woulds, shoulds, or coulds.




A WISH FOR KITTY MAO

sundipped moondripped
streak of light made substance
fur-clothed silent-toed
whisker-length-world marked presence

dart dart dart
otter-sleek lionheart
carve the air
starlight-dappled silver-fair

if time stood still for only one
let it be you
your coat imprinted by morning sun
paw-scattered dew
weaving your shape in air as you run

but time must pass
like mist like rain
let me fade
but you remain

evergreen

5 comments:

Merril D. Smith said...

Oh, this is so beautiful. I love it.
And I wish that for my cats, too.

Shuku said...

Merril: Thank you so much! I wish it for your cats as well so that makes two of us. I wish I could adopt Kitty Mao, but I can't (apartment regulations, I rent.) So this is the next best thing.

Kerfe said...

My daughter keeps trying to get one of the neighborhood strays that she calls "plant kitty" (because it likes to sit in a planter in a vacant lot) to follow her home. Cats are one of life's mysteries and pleasures.

Shuku said...

Plant Kitty! That's such a cute name and apt. Maybe she'll succeed one day! And they are. Mysterious and definitely (most times) pleasure.

Angela van Son said...

...a ball of deep dreaming fur...

Your line!