Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Frog: frôg, n.

FROG: [Middle English frogge, from Old English frogga.] \Frog\ (fr[o^]g), n. [AS. froggu, frocga a frog (in sensel); akin to D. vorsch, OHG. frosk, G. frosch, Icel. froskr, fraukr, Sw. & Dan. fr["o].] 1. (Zo["o]l.)

An amphibious animal of the genus Rana and related genera, of many species.
Frogs swim rapidly, and take long leaps on land. Many of the species utter
loud notes in the springtime.
- (Definition from Dictionary.com)

This is the sound I am making today. Can you hear it?

So I started on my next project - a Beginner's Hat, because that looked like something I could use to get rid of all that acrylic yarn. Besides, after yesterday's fiasco with Sigma, I felt like a beginner.

I was actually proud of myself - I cast on at the bus stop this morning while waiting for my ride, and finished up a whole row of the hat brim at lunch.

And then I got home and actually started in on the second row.

Since when has anyone ever had to unpick an entire row of ribbing stitch because you screwed up 1 knit 1 purl? That's supposed to be brainless EASY, right?

Frog:Any of numerous tailless, aquatic, semiaquatic, or terrestrial
amphibians of the order Anura and especially of the family Ranidae,
characteristically having a smooth moist skin, webbed feet, and long
hind legs adapted for leaping.

This is also when I remain convinced there is a Knitting God who watches over idiot knitters like yours truly.

Because upon recasting on all 96 stitches, I discover that they said 'stockinette stitch' - which is NOT 1 knit 1 purl as I assumed, but 1 ROW knit, 1 ROW purl. I am still not yet familiar with the various stitch names, apparently. Says the girl who has done -cable- sweaters no sweat.

Duh.

So far so good. But if you happen to hear an unusual lot of bullfrogs tonight, you'll know why.




No comments: