Friday, April 10, 2020

GloPoWriMo Day 9: Love In A Time Of Corona



           Click to enlarge! It eats the picture if I set it larger, grrr...

Prompt: 
Our prompt for the day (optional as always) is inspired by Kaschock’s use of space to organize her poems. Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a “concrete” poem – a poem in which the lines and words are organized to take a shape that reflects in some way the theme of the poem. This might seem like a very modernist idea, but poets have been writing concrete poems since the 1600s! Your poem can take a simple shape, like a box or ball, or maybe you’ll have fun trying something more elaborate, like this poem in the shape of a Christmas tree.


I am a fledgling calligrapher who hand letters sometimes, and my skills have gone so rusty I figured I'd use today's prompt to attempt to brush up on them. Since I also detest trying to write shaped poems on my computer (since the formatting always goes wonky) I decided to do it the old-fashioned way instead - pen and ink.


Here's the non-shaped poem in case it's difficult to read (I did try for legibility but may not have succeeded). There've been two deaths in two days in my circle - my SO's beloved 13 year old cat who was taken by gut lymphoma, and my friend's grandmother who succumbed to Covid-19 just today. There've been other deaths too, of frontliners here, and that, perhaps, influenced the poem (which I hope isn't appropriating or inappropriate because that would be bad.)



Love In A Time Of Corona



we’ll go to australia you said
we’ll count the oceans and i laughed
the moon outside our window
bright as the bat signal
make a wish on the moon love
you told me
make a wish
hold out your hands and hold the moon
and a day later you answered the call
(bat signal disguised
as a cellphone you
a superhero disguised
in mask and scrubs)
and now six weeks later
you’re gone without even the dignity  
of a farewell or a last kiss from me
(the virus gave you that)

when this grief is over
i’ll rise i’ll rise
but first let me hold the moon in my hands
and remember that when i woke when i slept
you were the first thing the last thing
imprinted on my eyes
and now you are gone
your imprint remains
set me as a seal upon your heart you said
on our wedding day
no no you are the seal
binding this box of memories
that holds within it
australia and all the oceans
of the world


8 comments:

Romana Iorga said...

I love your concrete poem, Shuku--very vivid.😍 And your handwriting is beautiful!

Shuku said...

Thank you so much Romana! It was originally supposed to be something different, and then the first line of the second verse came into my head and it turned into this. And you know, when I was younger I was told my writing was way too small and I should improve it to be legible!

Manja Mexi said...

This is amazing. :o I'm in awe! Extraordinary!

Shuku said...

Awww thank you Manja! I used to do a lot of these little lettering with writing pieces a few years back but I haven't for a while now...thought it would be good to exercise my brain again. (And I hate formatting on the computer...)

Kerfe said...

So fluid in both image and words. I don't like fighting with formatting, but what a beautiful solution!

Shuku said...

Thank you so much Kerfe! <3 I hate fighting formatting, so this is the easiest for me, I just have to erase lines...

Merril D. Smith said...

I'm so sorry for your losses! Sending you a virtual hug.

The poem is so sad, and you drew it beautifully. I think that was a wonderful solution. I'm not a big fan of shape poems. I hate to turn the paper around to try to read them--but this one was so heartfelt and beautiful.

(I"m worried about one of our cats right now. He's not eating.)

Shuku said...

Oh Merril I hope kitty is ok! Sending all the best wishes for him. Thank you! I know...turning the page is always aaargh so I try to not make it so things have to turn but sometimes it's inevitable.