Tuesday, April 07, 2020

GloPoWriMo Day 6: 'Hieronymous Bosch Painted Primarily On Oak Panels'

Prompt: Today’s (optional) prompt is ekphrastic in nature – but rather particular! Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a poem from the point of view of one person/animal/thing from Hieronymous Bosch’s famous (and famously bizarre) triptych The Garden of Earthly Delights. Whether you take the position of a twelve-legged clam, a narwhal with a cocktail olive speared on its horn, a man using an owl as a pool toy, or a backgammon board being carried through a crowd by a fish wearing a tambourine on its head, I hope that you find the experience deliriously amusing. And if the thought of speaking in the voice of a porcupine-as-painted-by-a-man-who-never-saw-one leaves you cold, perhaps you might write from the viewpoint of Bosch himself? Very little is known about him, so there’s plenty of room for invention, embroidery, and imagination.


Real life and illness decided to interfere with writing, so I'm missing 3 days which I'll catch up on eventually (or not). I happen to really love Hieronymus Bosch's work, but this was incredibly difficult to write because I was out of ideas as to what viewpoint I wanted. I eventually settled on writing from the perspective...of the oak panel that the work was painted on. An hour plus of research into historical painting techniques later, this is what emerged.



‘Hieronymus Bosch Painted Primarily On Oak Panels’
A Meditation on 'The Garden of Earthly Delights'

Chalk is a taste and so are colours –
Azurite, the copper taste of salt and sea and heaven, light as air
Malachite, copper-tanged like its sister Azurite but brighter
Bold as frog-skin, sharp as spring
Carmine, a musty, brittle intensity of crushed and dying insects
Ochre, cake-rich, earthy and thick as clay.
Oil, viscous and unctuous, swirled into pigments, seeping into cracks.
The master’s touch is deft. Gentle. Sweep by stroke by layer
The dark chalk underdrawings – the taste of dry dust and powder
Come alive on my surface -
I, this hewed oaken panel felled from a forest I will see no more
But perhaps relive through the master’s colours on my skin.
I taste. I feel. I rejoice in the sun that bathes this studio
The same sun that warmed me in the days
When leaves still grew on my branches
And the birds still sang.
Now they sing on my skin for eternity:
Flamboyant tattoos devised by the master
Outlandish, glorious, silent.



10 comments:

Kerfe said...

This is a wonderful interpretation--both the pigments and the tree glow.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Take care of yourself!

Elizabeth Boquet said...

WHAT!? Tell me,
"Sweep by stroke by layer
The dark chalk underdrawings – the taste of dry dust and powder
Come alive on my surface -
I, this hewed oaken panel felled from a forest I will see no more
But perhaps relive through the master’s colours on my skin.",
is the point of view of the canvas/board !!!
That's the wonder I read, anyway, and I love it!

Merril D. Smith said...

What a unique viewpoint! Beautifully done--I can feel the colors. Hope you're feeling better.

Jane Dougherty said...

Wonderful! How the colours taste to a plank of ex-oak tree! What an imagination you have!

Verlie Burroughs said...

Lovely!

Shuku said...

Kerfe - Thank you so much! I love Bosch's work, but I honestly had no idea what to write about it, until the Bathroom Muse hopped to the rescue again. And I would have posted it but then I got violently ill right after, so I went to bed, and finished it this morning instead! (It glows, probably with glitters of medicine too right now...) I'm feeling a bit better, at least I can keep food down now!

Elizabeth - Awwww thank you so much, and yes, yes it IS the oak panel talking! I hunted around a bit doing some historical painting research and it seems Bosch worked primarily on oak panels, and these were the colours he used. It was so interesting I went down a rabbit hole!

Merril - Eeeee, thank you so much! The colours are what I love too, they really do glow in the painting don't they? I'm feeling better, can keep food down now and my stomach doesn't hurt any more so yay!

Jane - Thank you! I sometimes wonder what colours taste like too, so I tried to imagine what a tree might think...or taste!

Verlie - Thank you so much! It was a challenge but fun...in an interrupted way!

Barbara Turney Wieland said...

Bold as frog-skin, sharp as spring
Carmine, a musty, brittle intensity of crushed and dying insects

Chalk is a taste

Inspired! Beautiful lines. Sensual, tactical.

Shuku said...

Thank you so much Barbara! I remember trying chalk as a child - I have no idea what possessed me but there was SOMETHING that made me try it anyways, and I remember the taste of it to this day!

Smitha said...

Absolutely loved your take on it - so different and refreshing. I hope you're feeling better now. Your poems are such a treat to read.

Shuku said...

Thank you so much Smitha! I am better yes...slowly but surely (the scorching heat hasn't helped much, but I am alive and I am breathing so that is a blessing I am thankful for.)