Tuesday, April 09, 2019

GloPoWriMo Day 5: The Inquisition Priest In A Crisis Of Faith During Delirious Sickness

Write a poem that incorporates at least one of the following: (1) the villanelle form, (2) lines taken from an outside text, and/or (3) phrases that oppose each other in some way. 

This was one painful slog of a write, mostly because I've been down with cluster headaches and a ton of work, and I haven't had enough of a clear head to write anything beyond my name (and misspelling it, at that.)

For my opposing texts, I decided to use the Prayer of St. Francis and Bohemian Rhapsody. The result is...my first villanelle, with a decidedly cussed and slightly psychedelic outlook.


THE INQUISITION PRIEST IN A CRISIS OF FAITH DURING DELIRIOUS SICKNESS 

I am a made instrument. Leave me to die
caught in doubt-faith despair-hope.
Lord you think you can stop me, spit in my eye?

Injury. Pardon. Will you let me go? Try - 
I do not seek to be understood.
I am a made instrument. Leave me to die.

Look up to the skies. You will never (why)
never ever let me go. Too late. My time has come.
Lord you think you can stop me, spit in my eye.

In a silhouetto of dying high
we are born. We seek to be consoled.
I am a made instrument. Leave me to die.

Where there is darkness Beelzebub is a landslide
A devil, put aside for me, for me, for me!
I am a made instrument. Leave me to die.
Lord you think you can stop me? Spit in my eye.


5 comments:

Barbara Turney Wieland said...

I am in awe of the villanelle and you managed it very well. Love the Queen lines that I know. Less familiar with the prayer, but it all worked for me.

Shuku said...

Thank you Barbara! It's a brain workout all right...I've had to fix the rhyming scheme a bit because otherwise it doesn't quite qualify as a villanelle but! IT IS DONE! (Queen yesssssss, we sang a tribute to them in concert two years ago!)

Merril D. Smith said...

It works for me--even if I read made as mad at first. Haha. You managed to knit together two very different sources. Well done!
(even without tomcatting chairs).

Kerfe said...

We are born. We seek to be consoled.
that about sums it up! This works well. (K)

erbiage.wordpress.com said...

great mashup!