Sunday, April 06, 2014

NaPoWriMo Day 1: Victorian Wedding Portrait

I hadn't actually even considered doing NaPoWriMo, or National Poetry Writing Month, not until a good friend posted the link and drew my attention to it. 30 days of poetry is a lot of commitment, and I was quite sure I wouldn't have the time.

With a few insanely busy upcoming months, including 3 classes and a whole lot of work-related projects, it would have been the height of folly to even think of merrily joining in.

So I did.


Victorian Wedding Portrait

The camera loves her but she does not love it back
Profile solemn, black bird wings of hair
Tamed by gauze and pearls.
Grave as a novitiate she sits
A comma in a sentence
Uneasy in her white dress, pale and still
A fresh-faced vanilla orchid
On the cusp of blooming.



No comments: